Home of the Little-Known Blogger

23 April 2006

23 April 2006

Goodness, goodness.
Another drill gone. The unit did a pepper-spray certification, but fortunately I didn't have do it; my certificate of contamination is permanent (for the military). Instead, I was one of the testers. You see, when you do this type of certification, you get sprayed and then have to perform a set of physical tasks. I've found that this varies by the unit doing the certification. In this case, I ran the station in which the afflicted personnel had to block incoming strikes. Of course, I delivered the strikes with an ASP kicking pad. That's right, I was the unit pillow-fighting instructor. Maybe I can design a badge for my cammies.
I also managed to narrowly escape an APFT--thanks to a foot injury. Of course, I'll have to make it up in two weeks. I'm vaguely worried about the run--I haven't really enjoyed running since about halfway through my Marine Corps contract--but I think I'll do okay. The unit is offering guaranteed spots to Airborne or Air Assault school to whoever gets the top two PT scores on the test. Of course, they flatly refuse to send anyone to Hand-to-Hand combat instructor, Squad Designated Marksman, or SRT school.
On the up side, I have finally found a possibly perfect online degree program. Columbia College is offering an inter-disciplinary studies degree; after your liberal arts and sciences requirements (which, as Inigo Montoya would say, I have) you just finish another 60 hours and that's your degree.
I've found out that I can test out of POST certification; this may be my ticket into the high-paying and glamorous world of civilian law-enforcement. Also, my detachment has a new lieutenant, a highway patrolman who's actually interested in making use of my prior training. So the Army might finally get fun!

No comments: