Home of the Little-Known Blogger

20 April 2006

17 April 2006

Howdy!

Well, I've been back from Germany for over a week now, and my apartment is still trashed from my frenetic burst of packing the night before I left. Admittedly, I've had less time actually in my apartment than the full week--I managed to lose my keyring somewhere in Germany and I spent three days in a hotel before I could contact my apartment complex for a replacement key. Mostly, though, I've just been a victim of jet lag.
I have, however, replaced my computer and bought a new cell phone since I've been back. So it's like I've been lazy. Just completely irresponsible. :)
Germany was very, very boring. We each worked five days (of the 21 days we were there), and neither the local nor the Missouri command had any training or activities for us beyond that. I was almost put on suicide watch. This is because the rest of the company did nothing but lay around the barracks all day and have the some of the dumbest conversations I've ever heard. I, on the other hand, know better than to be a barracks rat. I was at the gym, at the library--anywhere else. So, since I wasn't talking to them, obviously I was depressed . As if! Actually talking to them is what would have made me depressed!
I thought about taking a MWR trip while I was there, but I just couldn't justify the expense. The "Castle Tour", for instance: for about $80.00, I'd have to arrange to be on a different base at 3 a.m., where a bus would pick me up and drive me to two castles in different parts of Germany. Not only would I also be responsible for my own meals, but each castle would also have it's own entry fee (not covered by my $80.00) and neither allowed pictures to be taken inside. So I passed.
I did see the movie Munich while I was in Germany--so that was apropos. The movie itself was an utterly fanciful, anti-Israeli historical revisionism which I won't even get into here. Suffice it to say, I don't recommend the movie. I do, however, recommend Slither, a rather seamless blend of body-snatcher and zombie movies, with just a hint of HPL--starring Nathan Fillion (formerly captain of the Serenity!)
On the up side, I discovered a new favorite writer. A retired USMC officer named John Poole, who writes about military tactics and theory--and has lots of juicy stuff relevant to Kevin's and my project. I actually overspent my intended budget for the trip buying his books--in fact, after I bought one of each title the PX had in stock, they bought some more (he has about eight titles out now, I have five of them).

Pre-box is immensely busy. I usually work out there alone; today I was supervising a team of ten people. We were still swamped when we left. I don't think we have room for all of those books!
Oh, and get this--one of the "girls" (I put that in quotes because, although she is several years younger than I, this young lady has 8 children. I call her "Ma Kettle.") who came out to help me said that I was obviously a "nice guy." Now, when I'm in practice, I can hit a human-sized target nine out of ten times at 500 yards without a scope. My martial art of choice is Filipino knife-fighting. I am not only a former U.S. Marine, I am an ex-mercenary. What the hell do I have to do to get a bad boy image???

Anyhoo, great to be back. My current project is getting everything in line for next March's OCS class.

No comments: