Home of the Little-Known Blogger

21 March 2010

A Question of Hypocrisy

In consideration of today's impending House of Representatives vote--allegedly on a bill to reform health-care, but really to expand the power of the Federal government far beyond its legal limits--some proponents of the legislation have decided that my opposition makes me a hypocrite. Being always interested in a fair argument, I propose the following for consideration:

1) As a civil servant, I am directly involved in every disaster relief response undertaken by the State of Missouri.

2) As a member of the Missouri Army National Guard, I have personally taken part in some of these responses, including our relief mission to New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I was there three days after the hurricane, personally handing out food and water, and protecting fire fighters who were being shot at by arsonists.

3) I have been certified as an EMT, and used my training to save at least two human lives (on my own time, separate from any lives I have saved by use-of-force as a military policeman).

4) I am a dues-paying member of organizations which, when totaled, provide millions of dollars a day in charitable donations to hospitals across the country, especially childrens' hospitals.

5) I donate, in addition to other charities, 5% of every paycheck I make to the American Red Cross.

6) I have had surgery while unemployed and uninsured--after which I got a job and paid for surgery on my own.

Given these items for consideration, how does my objection to your demands that the Federal government exceed its Constitutional powers to take even more of the money that I earn through my own labor make me an uncaring hypocrite? Have you done more than I to help others?

No comments: